Participation in this study is entirely voluntary. Thank you very much for agreeing to participate.
- The MEG procedure will take place at Massachusetts General Hospital (East), Navy Yard, Charlestown.
- For participating in the MEG study, you will be paid $75 by check.
- Altogether, you should schedule approximately three hours to give time for you to fill out forms and for the MEG session.
- The procedure consists of sitting in a chair while your head is slid into the helmet-shaped device.
- For us to measure this activity, we will put on a cap that is like a swimming cap. However, it has lots of holes in it. We will squirt a gel through the holes. This gel just contains water and salt and its purpose is to increase the contact to your scalp. This gel will be squirted into the electrode sites with a flat-tipped syringe. This is not the type of syringe used to give shots and will not break the skin. The flat end of a q-tip will be inserted into the electrodes and used to gently insure that the gel makes a good connection between skin and electrode. The gel washes out of hair easily in the shower.
- It takes us about 30-40 minutes to set things up.
- Then, after a practice, you will begin actually doing the task. We’ll give you more detailed instructions at the time. This will take up to an hour.
- You will be asked to sit still during the entire measurement since movements will interfere with getting accurate data.
- If you have magnetic material in your body (for example, in your dental work), then we may try to de-magnetize it using an instrument that we will hold above your skin.
- There will be several planned breaks during the scanning procedures. You will also be allowed to take breaks when you request them.
- You would be in the MEG altogether for about 1.5-2 hours. It can take a little longer or shorter depending on how the schedule is running.
- Please try to remember not to wear things with metal (eg earings, rings, bra with underwire, belts). You will be asked to take them off before the scan and you will change into scrubs but we like to tell people about this ahead of time.
- If you normally wear contact lenses, please can you wear your glasses instead.
- Please don’t use hairspray. Also, it’s worth bringing a hairbrush along. Although the gel referred to above comes out easily in the shower, it can leave your hair looking a little messy afterwards.
- You should be clear about exactly when you are scheduled and who you will meet. If there are any questions about this, please ask the person who scheduled you for the study and/or try to reach us at the following numbers: 617-702-4664.
- If you need to cancel, it is important that you let us know. This is because it takes us a while to get things set up and it would save us a lot of time if you let us know ahead of time.
- If you need to cancel before the day of the study, please try to reach us at the following numbers: 617-702-4664.
- We need to confirm that you remember your appointment. We will therefore telephone you the day before the appointment to remind you. If we can’t get hold of you, we will leave a message with our telephone number. Please call back to confirm that you will be taking part in the study.