Frequently Asked Questions for Students
How do I get started?
- Register with the MGH Volunteer Office in the Main Campus to get a badge. Get a security access form from the first floor security desk at Building 149.
- Ask Donna Crowe to sign the form to give you access to the first floor computer area, the second floor offices, and the tenth floor research area.
- Email email@example.com for a computer account.
- Join the martinos-students mailing list from the Mailing Lists page.
Students may also need to complete CITI and HIPAA training. Please consult with your PI to determine whether this is the case.
How do I make travel arrangements?
- The cheapest airfare is usually with Council Travel (617.225.2555) through their student discount program. There is a one-time $25 fee, which is reimbursable. You can also buy a discounted ticket for a non-student if you live with him/her.
- Or, you can charge air travel to a fund number for a specific grant through the MGH travel office. Contact Monica Langone (firstname.lastname@example.org) to obtain the correct fund number and authorization.
How do I make slides or posters for conferences?
- There are free poster printers on the first floor of the Martinos Center (contact Piotr Okonski) and in the HST lounge in E25 on the MIT campus (see http://mit.edu/twagner/www/PrintSite.html for more details).
- You can get free 35-mm slides or posters printed at Cambridge Photo located on Cambridge Street across from the MGH main campus. They will print slides the same day for a small rush charge. You can also have slides printed at the MGH Radiology Office, Cambridge Photo or in Chinatown (note the fMRI science cover on the wall). In all cases, ask them to charge the expenses to Department of Radiology, Martinos Center.
How can I access electronic journals?
Is there a student mailing list?
Where should I go if I have further questions?
- For a general "how-to" question, see the "User's Handbook" page on the Martinos Center website.